Kentucky and Tennessee keep a careful watch on their bourbons and as such, bourbon has become one of America’s favorite and most respected whiskies. The question I often receive about bourbon, and the other whiskies, is about how to drink it.
No, not about if it should be enjoyed chilled or room temperature, or if it is better straight or in a mixed drink.
Many people wonder if bourbon should be consumed from a special glass, or will any old glass do? There are many bourbon glasses on the market and people wonder if they are legit, or just another gimmick.
I won’t be the one to tell you that you must drink whiskey from a special cup. Hell, drink it straight from the bottle if that’s your thing!
However, just like eating, we drink with our eyes first. So, seeing the beauty that is bourbon before it’s even touched our lips goes a long way in stimulating our brains. If you’ve poured that whiskey into a glass that has a wide mouth, well, you’re releasing many aromas that will also please the brain during the entire bourbon drinking experience.
Yes, there are definitely gimmicky bourbon glasses out there. So, before you get lost in the trenches of the thousands of bourbon glasses on the market, consider a few of these best bourbon glasses.
Top 15 Bourbon Glasses
Bourbon glasses come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and materials. The best bourbon glass for you will obviously be a personal choice, however if you’re not sure where to start, this list will help. Here are the top 15 bourbon glasses I’ve found.
- Twist Whiskey Glass-If you’re a wine drinker, you’ll probably be familiar with Ashcroft Glass of Las Vegas. Famous for their handcrafted double-necked wine decanters, they’ve started venturing into the world of bourbon glasses. Master glass blowers have created the twist whiskey glass, or the Everest, which is lead-free, completely clear, and has a cool twist to it.
Not only will your bourbon taste delicious, but it will also look just as beautiful.
- Corkcicle Cigar Glass-Let’s face it, if we’re sitting down with a bourbon, we’re likely enjoying another “vice”–a cigar. And when you’re stuck holding both a cigar and a glass of whiskey, you aren’t able to bring out your inner storyteller full of gestures. The makers at Corkcicle have solved this problem by creating the Corkcicle Cigar Glass.
The cigar glass allows you to have your glass of bourbon and has a little cigar-rest on the outside of the glass. Think of it as a shelf for your cigar. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone!
- Whiskey Peaks Rocks Glasses-If you or a friend enjoy the beauty of nature, especially the mountains, you’ll love the whiskey Peaks Rocks Glasses. These glasses are made by Huckberry and feature one of four mountains topographically at the bottom of each glass.
- Corkcicle Whiskey Wedge-Nobody likes a watered-down drink, no matter what type of drink it is. If you dislike having ice ruining your whiskey, consider the Corkcicle Whiskey Wedge. This glass comes with a silicone insert that freezes a slanted wedge of water into the glass–decreasing the surface area touching your whiskey and it will melt much more slowly–allowing for a chilled drink without the water-down effect.
- Rare Whiskey Glasses-It’s quite rare to find stackable whiskey glasses, so if space is at a premium in your shelves, consider these Rare Whiskey Glasses that are each handcrafted in the Czech Republic and designed by fferone, a furniture and glassware designer from Chicago.
- Venero Whiskey Glass-Venero Whiskey Glasses are made by a UK company and will hold up to 12 ounces of your favorite bourbon and still allows room for ice, mixers, and garnishes. The glass is thick and comes with a lifetime guarantee, no matter how much you’ve used it.
- Nude Glass Whiskey Tumbler-The Turkish company that manufactures the Nude Glass Whiskey Tumbler provides bourbon drinkers with a weighted base, a sand-blasted bottom, and a wide mouth. They also have a number of other whiskey glasses in their portfolio, so if you don’t like this one, you’re sure to find another that works for you.
- Yeti Rambler Lowball-If you don’t want a specialized glass just for bourbon, you can get the Yeti Rambler Lowball to use all day–from coffee to whiskey to everything in between. Double walled, vacuum-insulated and stainless steel, this Yeti will keep all of your cold drinks cold and your hot drinks hot. If you’re using this one for coffee or tea on the go, pick up the optional lid to prevent spills.
- Glacier Glasses-The makers from JoyJolt have created a unique looking, modern, square whiskey glass that looks like it has a crack in it and a crooked slant. When you break out these Glacier Glasses, you’ll have quite the conversation piece for your friends.
- Cruvina Unbreakable Cocktail Glasses-If you’ve got butter fingers when you’re drinking, you may want to consider the Cruvina Unbreakable Cocktail Glasses. Made of Tritan, these glasses are BPA-free and crystal clear and are perfect for those of us that get the “dropsies” or if we want to take our bourbon poolside or lakeside.
- Sir Jack’s Ox Horn Whiskey Tumbler-If you’re not looking for a simple, plain glass to drink your bourbon, but instead want something that will stand out, look no further than the Sir Jack’s Ox Horn Whiskey Tumbler. These English handmade tumblers are made from ethically sourced ox horn and are polished to a high shine. If you want to impress your friends and look really cool while you’re drinking your next bourbon, you’ll want to pick up one of these bad boys.
- Nate Cotterman Cube Glasses-If you’re not looking to use ice, but still want a chilled bourbon, Nate Cotterman Cube Glasses are exactly what you’re looking for. This glass has a solid orb permanently affixed to the inside and instead of adding ice, you’ll freeze the entire glass before you’re ready for your next drink. The orb will provide the chilling effect of ice without watering down your drink.
- Black Lantern Forest Whiskey Tumbler-While a clear glass is the go-to for whiskey drinkers, sometimes you want something a little more interesting like these Black Lantern Forest Whiskey Tumblers. The beautiful forest scene will look even better when you fill up your cup with your best bourbon, giving the illusion of a sunset behind the trees.
- Soapstone Whiskey Tumbler-If you want to drink your bourbon like a Viking, look no further than the Soapstone Whiskey Tumbler. The Viking’s would carve soapstone for their cooking pots, so if it’s good enough for them, it sure as heck is good enough for me! Soapstone can be frozen, thus chilling your bourbon without the dreaded watered-down effect of ice.
- Dragon Glassware Diamond Whiskey Glasses-Inspired by a diamond, this Dragon Glassware Diamond Whiskey Glass will sit at a 50° angle but still feel good in your hand. Just make sure you resist the urge to spin it like it’s a top, this is still a glass and will break if it falls.
Truth be told, you can drink your bourbon, whiskey, or Scotch out of anything–be it straight from the bottle or a red Solo cup. But, if you are a drinker of some sophistication, you will likely want something a little more substantial.
Bourbon is a special drink and to really give it its dues, you’ll want a glass to showcase it and all its gloriousness. These 15 bourbon glasses are among the best that I’ve found and I would definitely recommend them to any bourbon drinker out there.